One of my young Facebook friends posted the following list:
WHAT I WITH MY PARENTS COULD UNDERSTAND
– When I hang out with a boy/girl it doesn’t mean he/she is my boyfriend/girlfriend
– School is hard and I’m trying my best
– I’m a teenager, I don’t always have the best attitude
– I try to make the best decisions for myself
– I’m young and want to have fun
– If I’m out all night it doesn’t mean I’m drinking or doing drugs.
– Not all my friends can be a bad influence.
– I feel useless whenever they compare me to other people
I posted a reply:
WHAT PARENTS WISH TEENS COULD UNDERSTAND
– If the boy/girl you’re hanging out with doesn’t make you a better person, we don’t care if it’s your official “squeeze”or not – we’re trying to help you become the person Christ created you to be
– Sometimes when you think it’s your best, we see more potential in you than you see in yourself. We don’t mean to push you too hard, but if you could see what we see . . .
– You haven’t lived long enough to make the best decision. That’s why God gave us parents. And believe me, I remember thinking I was making a good decision . . . time and experience will reveal what the “best” really is
– I want you to have fun while you’re young too! I just don’t want that fun to ruin the rest of your life.
– Most really bad things happen after dark. Most of them were never planned. Most of them are complete accidents. I believe that you don’t plan to do anything stupid. Almost no one ever does. But again . . . I have more experience . . . I’ve done my share of stupid. . . you will too. Being in early just keeps you from doing someone else’s share too!
– Of course not all of your friends are bad influences! But most of the good influences have parents who have a tight rein and they have a curfew. (hence the last explanation)
– Please forgive me when I compare you to another person. I don’t mean to. I hate it when people do it to me. Please know that it’s just frustration because I don’t know how else to help you see how wonderful and precious you are! I don’t want to see you be hurt, and I only want the best for you. Please act in such a way that I can loosen the reins and trust you more. It’s what I want to do, but until you realize my experience with life gives me an edge, it’s going to seem like I’m against you. I’m not!!! I love you!!! I only want the most wonderful, blessed life for you!!!!